June 12, 2019 - By Bredet Services
Business central allows you to transfer items between location. There are two ways this can be accomplished: Transfer Order or alternatively the item reclassification journal can be used.
When using the Transfer Order method, you ship the outbound transfer from one location and receive the inbound transfer at the other location. This helps mange the warehouse activities and provides more certainty and accuracy when updating inventory quantity.
If using the reclassification journal method, the user would simply fill in the Location code and the new location code of the item(s). When the journal is posted, the item ledger entries are adjusted per the location(s) in question. In comparison to the Transfer Order method, the reclassification journal does not manage warehouse activities.
The purpose of this blog is to demonstrate both methods.
To transfer items with a transfer order
- Choose the search icon in the top right and enter Transfer Order and then choose the related link.
- Click New
- On the Transfer Order page, fill in the fields as needed. When hovering over a field, a short description of the field will be displayed.
- Populate the Transfer from Code and the Transfer To Code.
- In the Lines section, enter the ITEM ID that is being transferred to a new location. Fill in the quantity field with the number of units you would like to transfer.
- In the navigation menu, click on Posting and select Post
- Select Ship and click OK
- Choose the Post action, choose the Receive option, and then press OK button
Transfer items with the Item Reclassification Journal
- Choose the search icon in the top right and enter Item reclass Journal and then choose the related link.
- Choose a related Batch Name or keep the DEFAULT value
- With the cursor in the Posting Date field, type in T and move to a new field to select today’s date or enter a different date.
- Type in the document name or keep the default TRANSFER 1 name.
- Populate the Item No. field by using the drop-down.
- Populate the Location Code and New Location code
- Populate the Quantity
- Click on the Post/Print menu button and select
- Press Yes and then OK.
In conclusion, as shown in the examples above, Business Central contains easy to interpret fields and buttons that allow a task such as transferring items from one location to another be accomplished with ease. The well-designed UI in Business Central allows for the user to see the same type of menu in multiple screens which makes it easier to use and less confusing.
We hold a three day in class training course on Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central, showing you the basic and all you need to know. Click here for details: Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Made Easy – A Beginners First Look
If you do not yet have Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central join us for an online demonstration of the product offered the third Wednesday of every month. Click here for details: Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Demonstration